The Montessori Approach to Education
The Montessori approach to education, inspires children towards a lifelong love of learning, by following their natural developmental trajectory. Children become confident, responsible, independent learners, who trust in their own abilities. The inclusivity and positive social development facilitated by the Montessori programme forms the basis for a persistent attachment to learning and knowledge.
Montessori classrooms provide a specially crafted learning environment where children are able to respond to their natural tendency to work. Children have an innate passion for learning, and the Montessori classroom encourages this by giving them opportunities to engage in spontaneous, purposeful activities with the guidance of our teachers. Through their work, the children develop concentration and joyful self-discipline. Within a framework of order, the children progress at their own pace and rhythm, according to their individual capabilities.
The main areas in the Montessori Pre School program:
- Practical Life
- Social and Emotional
- Considerable emphasis is also placed on Creative Arts, Music, Science and Geography
How Montessori links with EYLF
- Outdoor: Becoming an active and healthy participant in the care of our environment (EYLF outcome: 1,2,3)
- Literacy: Communicating through expressive and written language (EYLF outcome: 2,4,5)
- Numeracy: Understanding the value of the number system (EYLF outcome: 2,4,5)
- Cultural: Discovering the wonderful world we live in (EYLF outcome: 1,2,3,4,5)
- Sensorial: Preparing the mind for intelligent observation (EYLF outcome: 1,2,3,4,5)
- Practical Life: Preparing the hands and mind to work toward independent thought and action (EYLF outcome: 1,2,3,4,5)
- Social and Emotional: Learning to be socially responsible and competent (EYLF outcome: 1,2,3,4,5)